September 30, 2009

Alton Brown's banana bread

If you have some way past prime bananas hanging around and a copy of my favorite Alton Brown cookbook, then whipping up a loaf of mighty fine banana bread is easily achieved.

I've probably said I'm Just Here for More Food is my favorite cookbook as many times as AB has said "Oh bother" on Good Eats and there is good reason. Every recipe I've tried from this book is a winner--not to say his other books or even GE's recipes aren't equally as wonderful, but the recipes from this book also greatly appeal me. Anyway, a few days ago I found myself with several candidates for banana bread, so I pulled down my well-tabbed copy of IJHFMF and turned to page 98.

The main reason I started making my own banana bread stemmed from my nut allergy. 99.99999% of banana bread I've encountered contains nuts, mostly walnuts, thus rendering it forbidden fruit... or would that be forbidden fruit bread? Whatever, I couldn't have any. So the best way to remedy that, make my own.

In the past I've used other recipes for banana bread, some came out dry, some were complicated and still dry. Then I found AB's version and it was mighty simple and most importantly tasted great.

The great thing about Alton's cookbooks, just like GE, he explains why things happen or why something needs to be a certain way. The overripe bananas, for example, AB points out the bananas need to be very, very ripe just not oozing or growing fur. The first time I ever made banana bread, I didn't used extremely rips bananas. However, after reading Alton's advice and that to get your bananas mashed to the state of liquid the riper the better, I've gone with just shy of growing fur specimen with great results.

To start the process, combine 3-4 overripe bananas (I recommend using four) and 7 1/4 oz sugar. In the book, Alton recommends using a potato masher for pulverizing the bananas. Before using this recipe that is how I mashed the bananas, so that's a great tip.

The bread itself comes together via the muffin method.

The dry team:
7 3/4 oz AP Flour
1 1/4 oz oat flour (I use oat brand hot cereal)
1 teasp bakng soda
1 tea salt

The wet team 2 (wet team 1 is the bananas and sugar):
1 stick unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon Almond ext (I changed to vanilla)

1 cup nuts are an optional addition.

Bake 50 min-1 hour or until 210 F internal temp; then cool for 15 minutes. Yes, that is a vital step!

Yields one 9inch loaf or 12 muffins.

4 comments:

gingerbread said...

DROOLS!

Erica said...

:) Bake at what oven temperature?

Anonymous said...

7 3/4 ap flour? thats alot of flour

Alton Brown's recipe for banana bread from his baking cookbook.

Ingredients
1/3 cup oat flour
1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
3 bananas
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
8 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350F

Grease a loaf pan and line with wax paper

Combine the bananas and sugar and mix with a potato masher until smooth

Combine the melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl then add the banana sugar mixture.

Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to the combined wet ingredients.

Pour batter into the pan

Bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour or until center registers 210F and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool on stove top for 15 minutes then remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.

Tightly wrapped the bread will keep at room temperature for about 5 days.


Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/banana-bread-alton-brown-recipe-r109786#ixzz1It8gniue

Lisa said...

Anonymous I'm sorry you don't understand that OZ is the abbreviation for OUNCES not cups. I never said cups. I used weight not volume.