January 15, 2009

Awesome Alton Brown knives

I finally got something I've always wanted... a set of Alton Brown's knives by Shun. I've been drooling over those for years but the price was a little to high for my budget and I thought not even one Alton's Angles knife would ever be in my hand.

But I found an amazing deal and a 7 piece set no less. It was merely days after my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her nothing. Then a few days later I had to retract that statement.

So this Christmas I received one of the best gifts ever. My mom bought those knives for me.

At first, I thought my present would be delayed. Amazon sent information the knives were on back order. But I had waited this long, a few more weeks wouldn't be that bad . Especially considering the price. Okay. I can wait.

Much to my surprise, the knives arrived before Christmas. Mom wrapped them and tormented me about them. She did this same teasting last Christmas when I asked for volumes 16, 17 and 18 of the Good Eats dvd collection to complete my set.

Christmas morning I couldn't think about anything but my beautiful blades. First thing I did that morning was tearing into the packaging. Squeal! There they were shiny, sharp, super! Unwrapping each one was another thrill.

The 8-inch chef knife was first. I was amazed by its size. It was so big and knowing how sharp it is, that scared me a bit to use it. The 6-inch chef knife is like Cinderella's glass slipper to my hand. Perfect size. The balance of the handle is superb. I love the size of the handle, it is not large so I can grip it securely. The other favorite is the 5-1/2-inch Santoku knife. Like the 6-inch chef knife, the Santoku is small and fits my hand very well.

The rest of the set included a 6-inch utility, 4-inch parer, 3 1/2-inch vegetable. The only complaint was the little AB logo isn't on all of my knives! I only had him on the 6-inch utility knife and the 3 1/2-inch vegetable knife.

I had already planned to ditch the clear holder in favor of my magnetic knife holder. Alton recommended getting one, so you know I had one. I kicked out all of my so-so knives and line my new beauties up in descending order. Yeah, I'm a dork.

The biggest dilemma was I needed something to cut! Luckily mom hadn't made her macaroni salad. So I volunteered to chop the veggies for her. I chopped an onion, bell pepper, a couple ribs of celery and some pickles. The ease of the chopping was nothing I had experienced before. These knives are so sharp. They glide through the items. Amazing. My old knife, even at its newest and sharpest time, was never like this.

These are the best knives ever. I can't say enough about them. They are excellent. I now understand why professional chefs have a special connection with their knives.

2 comments:

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Felicitations on these beautiful Shuns...!
I love this brand even better that my beloved Le Cordon Bleu W├╝sthofs, and I love my knives to death.
I am so happy for you Lisa.
Looking forward to what you will cook after you chop with these.

Pluff Mudder said...

I'm loving mine too Lisa! I've used them many times since Christmas (still have all my fingers LOL)and I'm amazed at how much faster and easier it is to doing any chopping, dicing, etc chores in the kitchen now. They cut thru things like all of it was butter.

I've used them all, but I find the one I go to the most is the Santoku. And, I've got mine all lined up in order on my magnetic strip also.

I've already gotten my eye on the Shun Classic fillet/boning knife to add to my happy little knife family. Guess I better start saving those pennies!